Outing (Ow-teeng): A group of individuals having an activity. Occasionally golf.
Shotgun (shawt-gun): A weapon often with a long neck. Often used for hunting. A method of starting a golf tournament.
Scramble (skram-bull): A method of egg cooking. Also a style of play in a golf tournament.
Played at Northwest Park yesterday for the first time since spring 2017. Rather than a long soliloquy, let’s skip to the main points:
- They changed up the nines so what used to be the 10th hole is now the first. The short uphill par 4 is now the 9th hole; the new 18th is the old 9th with the elevated tee to a valley and a slightly uphill green.
- Service is still good. One of the bigger grill areas for muni courses and a great practice facility.
- Bunkers were in great shape.
- Roughs were mowed and manageable while maintaining a challenge.
The not so good:
- Conditions weren’t great. Not terrible by any means, but definitely off a notch since the last time I was there. Some of the tee boxes were pretty beat up, and they have aerated many of the areas in front of the greens which will hopefully improve things towards late summer and into fall.
- Have to think some of the conditioning issues were because of last week’s heat wave (they did have a sign up about warning people that they’d be watering). Last year it never stopped raining; this year has been more than a bit drier. Never mind that July has been hot as hell pretty much the entire month.
- Greens weren’t bad but found several holes with un-repaired ball marks (this isn’t on the course, this is on people that are too lazy/stupid/guilty of being assholes who either don’t think or care about repairing ball marks).
- Went out early and ran smack into an outing of septuagenarian foursomes playing at a pace of play that could be charitably called glacial. In case you wondered what it would be like to play behind JB Holmes, Patrick Cantlay and their even-slower grandfathers.
It’s still a fantastic layout and the inside nine is a great option for novice players. But rethink the outings to later in the day and not on a Saturday morning. Go play it. Seriously.